Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Atlantis: the Lost Empire - Trial by Fire

So I actually read the whole article in IGN about Disney's FPS of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and I was moderately intrigued and amused. His review sounded like a bias avid gamer, who 'really tried his hardest to judge neutrally and give the benefit of the doubt to this Disney game', but when I finished and finally went to take a look at the screenshots, there really was barely any props or interesting characters with interesting characteristics. And most of all:

..... the environment was very uninspired, very geometrical, poorly visually detailed (it apparently had no shadows in the game), and from the sounds of it very badly designed layouts. At list price of $30, I guess you get what you paid for, because even back then games were atleast $50. But if Disney hires a company to make a game, and this is what they came up with...  Even game art students can make this quality, and even better sometimes! What's worse is that Disney was actually ok with this! But I can't ignore the fact that this was made 9 years. And ironically enough...produced by Disney (despite my last comment). You'd think that a multi-million corporation like Disney would want to produce high quality stuff all the time, but if you look at their "ToonTown" online game and current TV shows, I guess it's too be expected with them if it's not theme park or animation related. Especially since Atlantis wasn't their top selling movie.

Buut....off my musings. I will get back to my work that very desperately needs my attention.

P.s. Their Lion King game "Timon and Pumbaa's Jungle Games" was 100000000x better and it was made in 1995!!! 15 years ago! It was a different type of game, but the quality of challenge, fun, and experience was alot more paid attention too than in Atlantis.

No comments:

Post a Comment