Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Changed things up! 3D Coat and more!

So quite a few things have happened since my last post. I am now working with an amazing mentor, Kelvin Tan! I was very fortunate to notice that his Gumroad account was updated and that he was offering a month of mentorship. All because I kept the same 30 tabs open for the last month, and was finally going through them to close them out. Oh yeaaaaa....!!

So because of that, I've made some changes to my cannon model. Modified the body to make it less balanced. Which now that I think about it... When I animate the cannon shooting cannonballs, it will look alot more interesting since I can play with the weight of the cannon's rotation.

Updated the UVs since I realized that stacking the cannon's UVs was not very clever. I lost the ability to have Cannon belly shadows. Which I think would really contribute to the model's cohesion. So, I gave them their own unique spaces in the UV.

Also, I've moved out of working exclusively in Photoshop. I am back in 3D Coat per the suggestion of Kelvin and other 3D artists in the program! I had a rough start (cuz I was spoiled with Photoshop), but I am starting to get the hang of it. I am working on the value part of the cannon. I'm getting my muscle memory trained and re-learning the capabilities of 3D Coat. I can't wait to see this thing in Maya and make that giggle-worthy comparison to my previous texture blockout. :D

On the side of this, I will be creating blockout island models to help start populating the Unity scene for the ships to sail past! 

Last but not leeks...  

I've been studying these images: